Mr. Scott Liston is a Principal of MLA Companies. Mr. Liston uses his skills to support clients who seek a senior level professional who brings a consultative and coaching style with a broad scope of experience and expertise in financial leadership.
Mr. Liston uses his expertise to provide strategic leadership, management development, and finance discipline to his clients. Mr. Liston’s developed his skills during a 22 year career with Procter & Gamble and has been applying these skills to small to mid-sized businesses since 2012. Key focus areas include overall business leadership, strategic planning, pricing, product, market and channel segmentation strategies, segment profitability and costing analysis, acquisition and disposition strategies, board and executive compensation analysis and package development, and budgets and forecasts.
Highlights of his career at Procter & Gamble include:
- Provided CFO level financial leadership for a corporate new business development team, Future Works, with >$170MM sales growing at 18+% per year and a portfolio of over a dozen significant new business projects. In 2009, acquired MDVIP, a fast-growing preventive medicine primary care service business. Also in 2009, established Agile Pursuits Franchising subsidiary to launch new franchising ventures Tide Dry Cleaners and Mr. Clean Car Wash as start-ups run entirely separate from the parent company.
- Lead the divestiture of Folgers including financial and business diligence, resulting in $3 Billion sale to J. M. Smucker Company.
- CFO for the North America Coffee Division, a $1.6 Billion revenue business; achieved record profits in 2004-05 via strategic pricing for commodity costs and a new product launch; Coordinated a material insurance claim (>$100 Million) due to supply disruption caused by Hurricane Katrina in August, 2005.
- Actively managed accounts receivable and promotion payments to Kmart before Jan ’02 bankruptcy leading to significant savings; led work with Kmart to improve product assortment, marketing effectiveness, and supply chain efficiency initiatives.
- Finance manager for initial launch of Febreze fabric refresher in the U.S., now a Billion Dollar P&G brand.
- Managed the cost improvement, accounting, and forecasting for a vertically integrated global supply chain that delivered fatty alcohols to P&G plants around the world from sources in the Philippines and Malaysia.
- Financial analyst at the dish care products manufacturing facility in Baltimore, MD responsible for site budgets, forecast, and capital.
He has a Bachelor’s degree from Grace College in Winona Lake, IN and a Masters in Business Administration from Indiana University in Bloomington, IN.
He is active in his church and in its connection to Hillcrest Academy as a coach and lecturer for young men advancing out of the Hamilton County juvenile system. He is a Board member of the Eve Center in Cincinnati which provides volunteer counseling services to women. He has a passion for seeing business used as a tool for transformation in some of the most desperate communities in the world especially in Tanzania, East Africa where his wife Deb grew up.
Mr. Liston is an avid triathlete who competes each summer in Olympic and Half Ironman Distance events. He completed Ironman Louisville in 2010 and 2011.
He is married with four children, three of whom have left the nest, and resides in Fairfield, Ohio.